Sunday, June 01, 2008

Are you Aware of This Artists Day?

I was going through the website of the National Museum and found this entry:

29 May 2008
Location : Merdeka Hall, Putra World Trade Centre, Kuala Lumpur
Synopsis : The Launching of National Artist Day 2008
Time : 9.30 am - 12.30 pm
Merdeka Hall, Putra World Trade Centre, Kuala Lumpur
The Launching of Artist Day is to appreciate the contribution and roles of local artises in shaping Malaysia as kind-hearted, highly sprited and valued arts and culture as part of their life through arts programmes.
Artist Day will officially be launched by Y.A.B Dato' Seri abdullah Haji Ahmad Badawi and will be participated by artistes, local performers that have been contributing in the local entertainment industry.
Everyone is invited.
Malaysia National Film Development Cor[oration (FINAS)


This post was taken in its entirety - including the spelling mistakes.

I have asked several artists and they said they knew nothing of this sort. I pondered and found out what happened. The artists here meant artist-es. The people who perform on stages, singers and dances and choreographers.

Not THE ARTIST you and I know. I now know why artists I asked knew nothing of the event. Whether the event was held or not, I am also unsure as I did not remember seeing it in the papers, heard it on the radio or see it on television.

Which brings me to another question:

Do you think we can actually have an ARTISTS DAY dedicated to the true artists in Malaysia, celebrated or struggling, to recognise their contribution? I am talking about the real artists not artistes. Perhaps, even an ARTS DAY.

Artists in Malaysia have been divided both by status and accomplishments. For a nation marching towards developed status, it will be a pity if we continue to neglect the sculptors and documentators of our journey.

No comments: